I love that the weather is changing…cool crispy mornings bring back fond memories of lazy morning with a big breakfast…steaming buttery grits, soft scrambled eggs and thick country bacon. This recipe is a great way to use leftover grits from those Country Breakfast mornings…Serve at dinner with Grilled Steaks, Pan Seared Pork Tenderloin or a magical Fish and Chips…Even with your favorite Burger.
SPICY GRITS FRIES
Chef Robert Carter
YIELD 15-20 FRIES 4 orders
5C. l. Milk
2tsp. . Chicken base
2tsp. . Garlic, minced
2T. l Cholula hot sauce
2tsp . Old Bay
2C. . Grits, stone ground
- In medium sacue pan…Bring milk, base, garlic, seasoning and butter to boil.
- Whisk in grits slowly.
- Bring back to boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Lightly spray 9×11 casserole dish with non stick spray…
- Smooth grits evenly in casserole dish and chill in refrigerator.
- Cut into FF size logs and deep fry at 375 degrees or alternatively lay out on cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees till lightly browned and hot throughout and exterior is slightly crispy.
USING LEFTOVER GRITS FOR SPICY GRITS FRIES
4C. Grits, leftover from breakfast
1/4C. Heavy Cream
- take 4 C. of leftover breakfast grits and reheat
- Add cream…mix well.
- continue by adding garlic, cholula, cayenne and old bay.
- follow steps 5-7 above.